BLOG BUDDIES

December 9, 2017

I'm Dreaming of a Diorama

Tis' the season and decorating your tree and home is in full swing now. This is the season I enjoy creating more than anything because the ideas that float in my head are endless. It's my turn up on the Art Anthology blog today for some Christmas inspiration. 
I came upon some Halloween clearance items. 70% off so I got these little boxes for $2.00 and decided to alter them for shadow boxes to sit in my tree. 
Some of the boxes were lined with distressed scrapbook paper, while others were antiqued with crackle varnish and paint. The insides featured an ornament which was altered with paint, snow, inks, whatever your little crafty mind can think of. 
This box was collaged with old hymnal papers and painted black and sanded all the edges, then the title was painted gold and embossed with gold powder. Greenery and bow were added. 

Box was painted and then the outside was lined with burlap. In the sleigh I added a little Christmas tree that I bleached out using equal parts of bleach and water, roll in Glossy Accents and sprinkle Diamond Dust on top. The bells and metal portion of the sleigh were rusted with Art Anthology's Rust Paste set. 

The outside of this box was painted and crackle varnish added to the top. Paper dolls were added as focal point. This tree was also bleached and the pearls were colored with Art Anthology paints. Sizzix festive sprigs was used for greenery and berries. 
Box was painted white and sanded for distress look. Sled was an ornament I had and it was altered using homemade snow which is equal parts of baking soda, school glue and white paint. Snowflakes were chipboards that were painted. 
The last box was painted black and dry brushed with Ferrari Red and  Parakeet Green. Rope added to the inside as well as greenery and berries. Like I said the ideas are endless. Hope your were inspired to create some new pieces for either your home or tree. Wishing you a Christmas filled with comfort and joy. xoxo Toni

Entering these projects in the following creative challenges: 
Emerald Creek - Anything Goes 
Frilly and Funky - Most Memorable Gift (My passion for Art from my mother)
Creative Artiste - Anything Goes 

Grab yourself a cup of cider, eggnog or hot chocolate, whatever your favorite holiday drink is and enjoy my Snapguide tutorial below. 

2 comments:

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Oh, how wonderful! I love that each box is so different from the next. I think my favorite is the scene you created with the vintage children, the bottle brush tree and the Christmas greenery. But each shadowbox is just a little gem all on its own. Thanks for the Snapguide tutorial, too! Your mother gave you a lovely gift when she imparted a passion for art in your soul! Thanks for playing along in our Most Memorable Gift Challenge at Frilly and Funkie! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Jenny Marples said...

My goodness Toni, you have been busy! Love the original vintage holidays look to each of your shadowboxes. So many inspiring ideas and what a fabulous and easy way to decorate your home with them now they are complete. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

art (ärt) noun - supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty.